I’m a lover of nerf guns and so are my kids, every holidays I tried my best to get them the latest nerf guns on the market (which always turns out to be a success) and I also see this as a great opportunity to get them out of the house to play with friends instead of staying inside playing video games all day.
Many people think it’s a bad idea to give their kids or young relatives a nerf gun as a gift, but these days nerf gun seems to be something a lot of children are more gravitate towards.
However, you must take into consideration that even though Nerf guns are safe to play with and don’t hurt much even when fired from close range, they can be dangerous if they hit the eyes. So take the time out to teach your kids not to fire at their friend’s heads.
In fact, playing with a nerf gun can be a lot of fun especially when you have friends or family over. The only downside with nerf guns is that there are many different types available on the market and with so many to choose from it can be truly challenging to find the best nerf gun for your kids.
Well, not anymore.
In this article, I’ve listed the best collection of nerf guns today for 5 year old. So here are a few options I’d personally go with if I was buying for my kids. The great news is 2019 has brought some fun new ones.
Table of Contents
Best Nerf Gun For 5 Year Old
|Nerf Gun Name||Ratings||Price|
|Nerf N-Strike Double Down Blaster||Editor's Choice||Check Price|
|Nerf N-Strike Elite DualStrike Blaster||Runner Up||Check Price|
|Nerf Zombie Strike Crossfire Bow Blaster||Best Value For The Money||Check Price|
|Star Wars Rogue One Nerf||Great Value||Check Price|
1. Nerf N-Strike Double Down Blaster – Editor’s Choice
I consider this to be the best nerf gun on the market for 5-year-olds. So if you’re goal is to make your kids happy and comfortable with a great holiday gift, I recommend going with this one. This amazing Nerf gun fires two darts in a row, which is great. Even though this model comes with regular nerf bullets, you can also use it to shoot the nerf suction cup bullets.
In terms of power and accuracy, your kids will love it. For power it fires up to 40 to 45 feet, which should be great for kids, my toddler can load and fire it without facing any problems. This gun has a lot of new configurations that no matter what cartoon or movie your child like, this is a blaster your little toddler will love. For me, I really like the concept of Star Wars guns, but my 6-year-old son prefers the new Fortnite guns.
This gun is so unique that it is a total deviation from the other best Nerf guns out there. The Nerf N-Strike is pretty easy to load and has a simple trigger mechanism that allows your kids to run around and chase each other. The priming is smooth and the length of the barrel gives it a musket pistol sort of look.
Overall this is a great pick for your kids and should be able to entertain your young Nerfer for a long period of time.
- The compact design makes it the right choice for smaller children
- Very affordable
- Double shooter
- Comfortable for hands of various sizes
- A bit underpowered
2. Nerf N-Strike Elite DualStrike Blaster – Runner Up
The Nerf N-Strike Elite is second on our list and is also considered to be one of the best Nerf guns on the market today for kids. It’s the first Nerf gun we’ve got and now my kids own 4 of them. This small pocket blaster is the best when it comes to spontaneous sneak attacks. With this model you can also use it to shoot Elite darts and Mega Whistler darts which as the ability to double the impact in Nerf battles.
We strongly believe Nerf N-Strike Elite DualStrike Blaster is a great option for parents or relatives who are just introducing a child to the world of Nerf gun. This is really a great entry-level Nerf gun that’s very easy for young users. There are many things to appreciate about this wonderful blaster, but its versatility is on top.
In terms of accuracy and power, it’s pretty decent as well. I wouldn’t put it as accurately as the Nerf N-Strike Double Down Blaster; however, it’s still really good. For power, the darts go up to 40 feet. The top barrel should be able to hold 3 Elite darts and the bottom barrel 3 Mega darts, making this 2 in 1 blaster ready for some intense action.
Your kids should be able to load it and fire without any problem.
Overall, it’s a good option for kids and the price is extremely affordable, making it great for those on a budget and looking for quality Nerf gun.
- Small and compact
- Great for those on a budget
- Easy to use
- It has a sleek design
- Maybe a bit harder to shoot for kids under the age of 5
3. Nerf Zombie Strike Crossfire Bow Blaster – Best Value For the Money
When it comes to accuracy we had the most luck with this high-quality Nerf gun. It’s not the most affordable on the list but I can guarantee that your kids will love it. In my own opinion, I think that shooting a crossbow looks way better than shooting a regular dart gun.
Using this crossfire bow blaster is pretty simple, all you’ll need to do is pull back the string to load it and pull the trigger to fire, it’s as simple as that. It loads all four darts at once and fires one dart each time you pull back the hammer. The grip is amazing, it’s quite comfortable and easy to carry for both small and large hands.
Overall, I’d say that this blaster gun is able to take things to another level while in battle. It’s not a rapid-fire gun so don’t expect that. Because of the accuracy and power of these darts, they tend to hurt a little bit. So make sure your kids only aim at the lower body, because I would not like someone to get hit in the eye with one of these darts. However, if you want crossfire bow type Nerf gun, then this is it.
- Crossfire bow gun
- Great for both small and large hands
- Super accurate
- Pretty simple to use
- Expensive price range
- Tend to hurt a bit
4. Star Wars Rogue One Nerf Captain Cassian Andor Blaster – Great Quality
Here is another impressive Nerf gun for kids on the market. This blaster is from the Star Wars line, which is probably the biggest reason your kids will love it. Even without this, it’s still considered to be a quality gun for a toddler.
I really like the shooting power and high impact of this gun. So, without even getting to use the gun, by looking at it you are sure the gun has the ability to start and finish the job for you when you face your opponent in the battle. To load you simply slide the dart into the barrel, then pull back the handle on the top to prime. The handle is pretty easy to grab and pulls straight back, which is much easier for kids to handle.
This blaster does come with batteries, even though we’ve ruled out Nerf gun with batteries for kids because of its weight, the purpose of these batteries is to only light up and make noises (which my younger son taught was great when I gave it to him as a Birthday gift) so it can still operate without any batteries.
The Star Wars Rogue One Nerf is a unique battle gun that gives you virtually everything you would want from it.
- Blaster is from Star Wars line
- It’s pretty easy to handle
- Affordable price range
- Superb quality
- With batteries included, it may be a bit too heavy for kids
Things You Should Consider Before Buying a Nerf Gun
Now that you have a better understanding of all the top quality Nerf guns on the market. You can easily make a good decision when it comes to choosing the best one for your child’s needs. We highly recommend these guns for kids and they can even be used by adults as well, so if you are ever feeling bored, maybe you can play a battle with your toddler. Here are a few factors to consider:
- The first thing you need to do is determine whether you want a manual or automatic gun. When using a manual Nerf gun, you have to load each bullet individually. While automatic Nerf gun, on the other hand, gives you the ability to produce non stop firing shots per round of ammo.
- Make sure the Nerf gun your planning on buying is lightweight because they are easier for kids to handle and young children may have a difficult time carrying and operating the heavier models during battle. So, for this reason, battery-powered blaster, with additional battery weight is completely ruled out.
- Another thing you should consider when buying a Nerf gun is the load time. Make sure the gun is easy to load because if your kids are having a hard time loading it, it will make them unhappy and you will be the one loading each time they fire.
- I don’t think it would be a good idea to purchase aftermarket darts, even though they are sometimes much heavier and has harder tips. But since you are buying these for your kids, I don’t recommend it. Buying extra darts is very important. Our kids tend to chew on, lose and find ways to wreck them regularly.
- The price is by far the most important factor to consider when buying a Nerf gun. Nevertheless, Nerf guns are relatively affordable and cheap. But the features of the gun largely determine their prices. So you should take the time out to check if the one you want to buy has the specifications you need.
Safety Rules to Follow When Playing With a Nerf Gun
These are four safety rules I recommend following when operating a Nerf gun:
- Never point a Nerf gun at someone’s face or even at your own face. It may accidentally go off which may result in injury to the eyes.
- Don’t use your Nerf gun to shoot at pets and family members. You should only use it while in battle.
- Children shouldn’t try to hurt each other while playing, even though accidents tend to happen at times.
- Limit exposure to violent TV shows.
Where to Buy Nerf Gun
There are many different local or online stores where you can easily purchase Nerf guns. However, I always recommend making your purchase on Amazon since it’s more secure and the products come with a warranty.
I hope this article is everything you need to know when it comes to Nerf gun. Keep in mind that there is a lot of Nerf gun available on the market which many of them are useless and doesn’t last longer than a few weeks. So, by reading this guide you should be able to easily choose the right Nerf gun for your kids. These Nerf guns are lightweight making them pretty easy to handle, so play time for your toddlers should be a lot of fun.
Related Buyer’s Guide and Epic Lists: