If you are moving to a new home or your goal is to make your current home safer. Then having a smoke detector is a important device for any home, it will certainly help to keep you safe from house fires and dreadful smoke.
These days kitchen fires are very common and are caused by several different factors including faulty wiring in appliances, overheating cooking oil, etc.
These are things that usually cause a kitchen fire to happen which is why it’s very important to invest in a smoke detector and have it installed in your kitchen to increase your home security.
Finding the right smoke detector for your home can be quite challenging since there are many different models to choose from. However, in this review guide, we have listed some of the best smoke detector for kitchen.
Table of Contents
Best Smoke Detector For Kitchen
|Smoke Detector Name||Ratings||Price|
|First Alert BRK SC9120B||Editor's Choice||Check Price|
|Fire Alarm Photoelectric Smoke Alarm||Best Value For The Money||Check Price|
|Kidde Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm||Affordable Price||Check Price|
1. First Alert BRK SC9120B Smoke Detector – Editor’s Choice
If you are searching for one of the best smoke detectors on the market then I highly recommend going with this superb quality First Alert BRK SC9120B device. This smoke alarm meets all UL certified smoke alarm standards for approved home and business installation.
First Alert is one of the smartest smoke detectors on the market. It’s a very effective and versatile hardwired smoke detector with added carbon monoxide detector functionality.
I really like the fact that this smoke and carbon monoxide detector can be easily connected to other compatible First Alert or even BRK detectors, this will ensure that all alarms sound simultaneous when one of them detects any threat, giving you full warning of fire, smoke or harmful carbon monoxide hazards.
This system is super durable and should be able to last 10 years as well as its battery, so you won’t have to worry about replacing the battery on a regular basis with this one. It even has a 9-volt battery backup that will ensure your alarm stays functioning during a power outage.
This smoke detector also uses dual chamber ionization smoke sensors to detect a fire. Ionization smoke sensors are great when it comes to detecting the small particles produced by flaming fires, such as the ones started by overheating cooking oil or paper.
The vast majority of reviews are positive, confirming our conclusion that this is a great option at a very reasonable price. If you are interested, you can check it out by clicking the link to Amazon.
- 9-volt battery system backup
- Quick to easy battery installation/replace
- Ionization smoke sensors to prevent flaming fire
- Comes with a 10-year warranty
2. Fire Alarm Photoelectric Smoke Alarm – Best Value For The Money
Another high-quality smoke detector on our list is this amazing Photoelectric Smoke Alarm. These detectors are considered to be the best choice for kitchens because they are capable of detecting smoldering fires before they even erupt.
Even though these types are not easily triggered by false alarms as the ionization smoke detector, these alarms may be randomly set off by a buildup of dust in the unit.
This UL certified alarm comes in three pack and the device has the ability to interconnect so that if one sounds, they all sound, which can give you additional time to identify the problem and evacuate.
It has a 9-volt battery and the battery life of the smoke alarm is able to last up to 1 year and an intermittent “chirp” accompanied by a red LED flash every 32 seconds indicates a low battery.
About 70% of the buyers who reviewed the First Alarm detector gave it a positive rating. The most helpful reviewer appreciated how easy it is to replace the battery and that the alarms are interconnected.
If you are looking for one of the most high end as well as a high-quality smoke detector on the market, then we highly recommend going with this Fire Alarm Photoelectric Smoke Alarm.
- A 9-volt battery that is able to last up to 1 year
- Low battery alert
- Uses photoelectric smoke sensor
- Test/reset button
3. Kidde Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detector Alarm – Affordable Price
Kidde is one of if not the largest manufacturer of fire safety products in America and most people tend to trust them to provide the most secure protection.
With this affordable high rated smoke detector, you should be able to protect your home and family from all fire. Not only does it monitor for smoke and CO at the same time but it also distinguishes alerts with specific voice commands.
The installation process is relatively easy since there is not a lot of wiring required. All you have to do is open the box and this smoke detector is ready to do its job.
The only downside to this product is the fact that it doesn’t have a lot of features. Although it does offer voice alarm, it can’t be monitored by remote and there is no home automation. After all, a basic smoke detector in your kitchen is dramatically better than having no smoke detector at all.
This smoke alarm receives a number of high praise from users. We read review after review from people who credit this smoke alarm with saving their lives and homes from fires.
When the price is an issue, we recommend the Kidde Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detector Alarm. It has a strong reputation and offers reliable detectors you can count on to protect your home.
Since this smoke detector is very affordable, you should be able to get as many as you need to protect not just your kitchen but your entire home as well.
- Voice alarms to distinguish threats
- Easy installation process
- Interconnected alarm
- 9-volt battery backup
- Smoke and CO detector
- 10-year warranty
Best Smoke Detector – Buyers Guide
There are a few things that you will need to consider before buying a smoke detector. These include:
- Easy Installation: As mentioned above, smoke detectors that are battery operated are usually much easier to install than hardwired systems.
- Battery Backup: This is very important as your wired system should always have a battery-operated backup system in place in case of any power outage.
- Interconnecting: If you are planning on installing more than one unit in your home then interconnecting is necessary because it will allow all your devices to be sync with each other to provide residence wide protection Inc case there’s a fire.
- Warranty: Make sure to only invest your money in smoke detectors that offer a 5 to 10-year warranty.
- Package Deals: These can help you to save tons of cash when you need to replace your smoke alarms. It’s always best to go with the deals that offer packages up to 6 smoke alarms.
Understanding the Difference in Smoke Detectors
Hard Wired vs Battery Operated
If you choose to use hardwire you would have to connect the smoke alarm to your home’s wiring system. These may not work during a power outage and for this, you would have to get a professional to get the job done for you. On the other hand, smoke detectors that are battery operated are easier to install and don’t pose as much of an electric concern.
For the best results, I think it would be a great idea to invest in a hard-wired smoke detector with a backup battery for an interconnected smoke detecting system and it should still work even when you have a power outage.
Ionization vs Photoelectric
Ionization detectors are great in terms of detecting fast-moving cooking fires or fires caused by flammable materials. The downside is that they are extremely slow at detecting smoldering fires (up to 50 minutes), which can be a bit risky.
The photoelectric smoke detector is considered to be the better choice for the kitchen because it responds well to smoldering fires before it becomes a threat. The best idea would be to place dual-sensor detectors throughout your home to detect both ionization and photoelectric using one alarm.
Smoke Detector Maintenance Tips
- You should always pay close attention to the expiration date of your smoke alarm. Most smoke detector on the market is said to be replaced every 10 years.
- The best place in your home to place a smoke detector is on your ceiling, but if you desire to mount them on the wall, you should make sure it’s within 6 to 12 inches from the ceiling.
- FEMA reports that most fire deaths tend to happen during the nights. It’s best to install a smoke alarm in every bedroom and keep it free from windows and air vents.
- Make sure to set a reminder to test and clean your smoke detector every month to ensure that they are clean and working properly when there’s a threat.
There you go the list above contains the best smoke detector for kitchen. In order to put this list together, we have done hours of research and evaluated product features, performance, and specs. You certainly can’t go wrong with using any one of these smoke alarm in your home.
If you are still confused about which smoke detector to go with, you can leave a comment down below and we will surely help you out.
Related Buyers Guide: