No matter if you are using your laptop for business purposes or you want to enjoy gaming or do your homework, there are many times when you want it to work as a double screen. If you want to use the laptop as a monitor you will have to get a complete understanding of the system and how many connection options you get to the operating system. The best part about this technique is that it is really affordable and you will also get to use the unpopular features using Windows 10.
In case you don’t want to spend money and buy extra equipment or get a whole new computer here we have a few tricks and techniques that will allow you to use your laptop as your computer. We can say there are laptops that turn into monitors and all you need to do is to take the right steps. You can use the best 13-inch laptops for this purpose.
Here is how you can get the best results and computer setup to change your laptop and make it a second screen of the computer. It’s where you could get dual activity on one computer because your laptop screen will be working as a monitor.
How to use the second monitor?
Most people don’t think of a laptop as a second monitor when they are going to the market to produce a new monitor and pay extra for it. Although you should know that this is an option and you can use it as your monitor. Especially laptops that are not performing in the perfect way are great choices to be used for just display because the processor is already down. You don’t have to use the school laptop like the Lenovo IdeaPad 330 and keep it on the shelf just to collect dust because now you get to use it as your second monitor.
Uses of a Second Monitor
There are a lot of ways where you can improve your work performance and get more done in less time if your computer has two monitors. Here we will be discussing the popular uses of a second monitor that allows you to perform better and save time and money.
- You get to watch two documents and compare them because both of them will open different computer screens.
- It helps you display two projects side-by-side.
- One minute you can be used to research new ideas and the second one can be great to actually write down the ones you have.
- You can give one of the monitors just dedicated to displaying anything that is your priority and it can be a messaging application or a side movie that you might watch.
- Now you can set up the alerts and notifications on one of the displays and don’t get annoyed on the other screen.
- You get to watch your game favorite on the other screen you can keep on working for the next project that you have.
- When you are playing the game by yourself on the windscreen you can turn on a famous YouTuber gamer and get help and tricks from him side-by-side.
These applications are not just it because as you use two or more screens you get to find new ways of enjoying the double screen. When you have to move between different apps and software and open the Google tab again and again on your computer you will get to know the importance of a second display and how beneficial it can be.
Is a perfect laptop required?
Absolutely not you can use your old laptop that doesn’t perform well because that way you will not be wasting anything and throwing it for recycling. Even if most of the features of your laptop don’t work but the display is perfect you’re all good to go. Does all that matters for a second monitor screen is the display and that will be really helpful in your professional life and gaming.
Supplied Required to Use Laptop As Monitor
Before we get into further details here is a quick reminder that all of these instructions are for Windows-based laptops and desktop is not for Mac and Apple laptops. If you have an Apple laptop you will have to get different instructions that will specifically work for those monitors.
Here is a mini list of supplies that you will be needing to turn your laptop screen as a display for your desktop.
- A computer that you will be using for your work and attach the monitor with.
- A spare laptop that will be working as a second display for your computer.
- Both devices should have updated latest Microsoft Windows 10 versions looking perfectly fine.
This list shows that you don’t need much because only the computer laptop and a working Microsoft will do the trick and you will get a double screen computer.
How To Use Laptop As Monitor?
Here’s how to use the laptop as a monitor and enjoy a dual display.
Prepare the laptop
- Open the settings in your laptop like the Lenovo IdeaPad s340 and select system, and then go to ‘projecting to this PC’.
- Now you will have to select the best options depending on your security needs.
- Turn the settings to ‘available everywhere’ instead of ‘always off’.
- You can choose ‘first time only’ or ‘every time a connection is requested’ depending on your preference and create a pin for your concerned device.
After you are done with the steps you will have to make sure that the name of the PC is appearing at the bottom screen of the window because it will be required for the next steps.
Connect Your Main Desktop
Now to project the data onto your display screen or side screen, you will have to make sure that it is connected to the main desktop.
- Press Windows key +P on your desktop and select a screen display.
- Not choose the option of ‘extend’ to use your second monitor and have the ability for more productive working.
- Now approve the action after you connect your laptop to the computer.
- After this you are able to use the multiple screens with your choice:
- If you don’t want to use the second laptop as a monitor you will have to select the ‘disconnect’ button. It will turn your laptop into the previous condition.
Other Ways Of Using Laptop Screen
Here are a few more ways that allow you to use your laptop screen if the laptop is not performing to its maximum.
- You can use the extending feature to use your laptop monitor as a dual-screen for your computer and also give the original screen here depending on the connecting options.
- You can also use a Duplicate function to use the laptop screen to show exactly what the main computer is showing.
- Other than that, you can choose the option of ‘select second screen only’ and that will allow you to show only the laptop screen instead of the original monitor.